Thanksgiving Tee Shirt Wreath...

I am not sure where I found this idea, but I absolutely love it. I had made one last year for Halloween and decided I wasn't a big fan on the door decor I had for Thanksgiving, thus I made a thanksgiving one. I finally started a project and took pictures throughout the whole thing so I could post a little tutorial on how to make on of your own.



The best part about making this was that all of my scraps used to be shirts that just hung in my closet. So literally the project cost me $2 for the wire wreath. However my husband will tell you it cost $60 in shirts plus the $2 wreath. Well he is right, but... those shirts were old, well used and never again going to be used, so why not.

If you don't want to buy the wire wreath, use a wire hanger, mold it into a circle. Simple simple.

I started out with my 6 shirts all in fall colors. (Yes my child has to wreck anything I put on the floor.)


Cut the shirts up, using every part you can. Cut them into long strips about 2 or so inches wide first, stretch out the long strips before you cut them again. Some of the shirts are going to be more stretchy than others, giving you more material to work with. You will know if it really stretched because the edges tend to roll in and the strip gets skinny. Next cut the strips every 4-6 inches. I didn't want mine to be all the same length, I wanted some of them to stick out a bit.

I also wanted to give some texture to the wreath, I used pinking sheers on 3 of the shirts, then added a sparkly autumn orange tulle and an auburn organza ribbon.


The wire wreath frame comes with 4 wires circles on it. I cut the inside one off, thinking I wouldn't have enough scraps to go around, I was wrong. Once all your strips are cut start tying the scraps on the wire. I double tie mine so they really wont fall off, but I highly doubt that they would fall off anyway.


Tie your scraps randomly, brown, red, orange, yellow, yellow red. You get the idea. Just follow the wires around until you fill up all the wire. Blurry picture, sorry.


I kind of run my hands through to fluff it up a bit, give it some body. I love how this one turned out, the colors, the texture, makes me feel so warm. I love this time of year!

So there ya have it, go find some clothes in your closet and make one of you own!



I just realized that I never posted a picture of the Halloween one I did last year. 2 large black tee's, 1 orange tee and various Halloween-ish ribbon. I used every last scrap on this one because I uses all 4 wire circles.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great ideas Mal, i love visiting your blog. You are my personal Martha Strewart keep posting all the great ideas you have and you inspired me to make a PAW cake for my Jack 12th bithday this week. And thanks for sharing!!

Beth Adams said...

What an awesome idea. My husband will be upset when his "rag pile" no longer grows. But hey, I will tell him it was for a "pretty" good cause. lol
http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

Angie Holden said...

Love this!! I love upcycled crafts!!

tinahead81 said...

so cool!!! what a great idea!!

April said...

That's really pretty! I did a Halloween wreath like this with a wire hanger, but would've liked the wreath form with the additional loops!

Maggie Lamarre said...

whoohoo I luv it.You should link it to our party
here
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2010/11/seasonal-celebration-with-be-inspired.html

Thanks,
Maggie
http://http://passionatelyartistic.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Mal..
I love your beautiful ornament wreath.
I know what to do with all those old tshirts now! TFI
Enjoy the rest of your week:)
Terrie
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/