Speckled Egg Cookies...

Since these are so darn good I couldn't resist making more. Plus I had left over royal icing (if you read in the Earth Day cookie post, the royal icing can be stored for up to a month, wow).

Since I haven't been a successful baker in the past, my supply of cookie cutters is limited to circles, a spring set and a snowflake set, nothing special. Since I have a few circles in various sizes, and Easter just have passed, (of course I make them after). I decided to take one of the circles and shape it into an egg.

Thus the speckled egg cookie.



After I made the cookies, I opened my left over royal icing. I had taken everything left over from last time and mixed it all together. Blue, green and a thick white, the color ended up being a dark turquoise, not exactly what I wanted for robins egg color, but I thought it would still work... until I tasted it. Since I had mixed in my thicker white, which had a lot and I mean a lot of powdered sugar in it, the whole thing ended up tasting like powdered sugar and wasn't too great. I almost gave up right there because I didn't want to make anymore, but I didn't want to waste all these little cookies. So... I made more icing!


I half-ed the cookie recipe again and half-ed the royal icing since I had so much last time. I made over 7 dozen of these little guys and had plenty of icing left too. Made them just like the earth day cookies, let the border dry, then flooded the inside. I left the two the same consistency and then I speckled them with a little water and brown coloring. Once they were finished, they were perfect not only to look at but to eat!


Just to show you how bite sized these were. We were eating 5 or 6, maybe 12 of these in a sitting. They are just so small that roughly 3 of them made a normal cookie... YUM


No comments: